South African police are investigating the deaths of at least 21 people at a nightclub in the East coast city of London early Sunday, with authorities saying that most of the victims were 13 -year -old boys.
It is unclear what caused the deaths of the youths, who reportedly attended a party to celebrate the end of winter school exams.
The local Daily Dispatch newspaper reported that the bodies were scattered on tables and chairs with no visible signs of injuries.
“At this point we cannot confirm the cause of death,” said health department spokeswoman Siyanda Manana. “We are going to conduct an autopsy as soon as possible to establish the possible cause of death.”
Police Minister Bheki Cele stated that the victims were aged 13 to 17 years, leading to questions whether teenagers under the age of served alcohol.
President Cyril Ramaphosa expressed his condolences.
“The president, however, is concerned about the reported situation where such young people are gathered in places that, in the face of it, should be restricted to people under the age of 18,” Ramaphosa said in a statement.
The club owner, Siyakhangela Ndevu, told local eNCA broadcaster that he had been called to the venue on Sunday morning.
“I’m still not sure about what really happened, but when I called in the morning I was told that the place was too full and some people were trying to force their way into the tavern,” he said.
“But, we will listen to what is said by the police about the cause of death,” added Ndevu.
Comments are closed.